Understanding The Mediation Process
The divorce process can seem overwhelming as couples prepare to disassemble their lives as they know it. At Conlon, McGlynn & McCann our lawyers build a partnership with our clients and really take the time to get to know you and your specific circumstances. We want you to know that you have different options available, and if you and your spouse are good candidates, mediating your divorce may help take the complexity and stress out of the process.
The Benefits Of Mediating Divorce
When you choose the mediation process for your divorce, both you and your spouse are in charge of the outcome. In order to be successful, both parties must communicate and be willing to work through issues to find reasonable compromises.
Mediation has several advantages indicative to the entire family. The benefits of mediating divorce include:
- You have support
- The process is quick and effective
- You are given more control over the agreement and settlement process
- There is more flexibility in determining custody and parenting schedules
- There is more confidentiality and privacy
- The two of you focus on finding solutions and compromises
- You get personal attention and your voice is heard
- The children are more shielded from the conflict
- Good communication is fostered and sets the stage for effective co-parenting
Mediation involves several joint meetings where you speak with your spouse and the mediator. These meetings allow you the chance to talk in-depth about how financial matters and property distribution should be handled, the priorities regarding how your children will be raised, how responsibilities and time will be allocated among each parent, and how future issues will be addressed.
This process is more amicable, and can foster a good co-parenting relationship moving forward.
Working As Trusted Partners And Advocates
Mediation isn’t the right option for everyone, but it could be just the process you and your family need to get through this difficult time. If you are considering divorce, contact us to discuss your options. Call our office at 203-222-8686 to speak with an experienced family law attorney. We are conveniently located and proudly serve Westport, Connecticut.