Exceptional Representation Customized To Fulfill The Unique Needs Of Your Family

  1. Home
  2.  — 
  3. Child Custody And Parenting Time
  4.  — Relocation Q A

Fighting For Parent-Child Relationships

Upon the decision to divorce, one party may find it advantageous to move in order to reconnect with family. After divorce proceedings have concluded, one parent may later find that a job opportunity requires uprooting. When these instances occur, child custody plans must be considered. The family law attorneys of Conlon, McGlynn & McCann take your family matters seriously, and strive to accommodate parenting plans that work in the best interests of your children.

Relocation Q&A

  • Do I need permission to relocate with my children? In 2006 Connecticut laws changed, requiring custodial parents to seek permission from the court to move out of state with their children. Prior to these changes, the custodial parent didn’t necessarily need to seek permission unless stipulated in an existing child custody order.
  • Can I relocate and take my children? If you wish to move out of state with your children, you must seek permission from the court and provide evidence that the move will be in the best interest of the children. Your current parenting plan and arrangements will be impacted, so you will need to present a clear case to the court supporting the move.
  • What factors are considered? As part of your plea for approval to relocate, you will need to prove that the move is in the best interest of your children. You must also demonstrate that the relocation is for a legitimate purpose such as a new job opportunity or to be closer to an extended family support system. The court will want to ensure that the move does not have malice intent, and that you are not moving the children away as a point to deprive their relationship with the other parent. The location must also be reasonable.
  • What does best interest really mean? When considering relocation, the court will examine how the move will impact the children. In particular, the court will look at how moving will impact the current and future relationship with the noncustodial parent. The financial, emotional, educational and physical health implications of the move will also be assessed.

Compassionately Seeking Positive Results

If you are considering a move, or your ex-spouse is planning to relocate, contact our office today. Call 203-222-8686 to speak with a lawyer. We will help you understand your options and take action. Our office is located in Westport and we serve families throughout Fairfield County.