Photo of attorneys at Conlon & McGlynn LLC
Photo of attorneys at Conlon & McGlynn LLC

Exceptional Representation Customized To Fulfill The Unique Needs Of Your Family

2 solutions when your ex won’t follow the custody order

On Behalf of | Jul 26, 2022 | Divorce |

When the Connecticut courts create a custody order or approve arrangements created by the parents of minor children, they expect both parents to comply with the order to the best of their ability. Most parents will eventually find a way to share custody with a minimal amount of conflict or adjustments needed to the schedule.

Unfortunately, some parents will put their own petty vindictiveness at their ex ahead of what would be best for the children. Some parents will interfere with their ex’s relationship with the children by denying them access, while others will simply fail to act as parents.

If you have an ex who cancels your parenting time or doesn’t show up for theirs, how will the Connecticut courts help you resolve the matter?

They can enforce the existing order

Your custody order outlines how much time you should have with the children and what decision-making authority you and your ex each have. If your ex has failed to show up for their parenting time or has attempted to assert authority not delegated to them by the state, you can create written records of those events and ask the court for enforcement.

A family law judge can clarify the terms of your parenting plan and possibly even grant you additional parenting time to make up for your ex canceling previous visits. The courts may also weigh in on crucial decisions, like the medical care that a child should receive.

They can modify the custody order

It can be hard to enforce the parenting plan when one parent doesn’t want to fulfill their responsibilities. The courts can tell your ex that they should have the kids half of the time, but they cannot force your ex to show up and actually parent.

In scenarios where one parent has shown that they don’t intend to make use of their parenting time or they have consistently interfered in their ex’s parenting time, a Connecticut family law judge may change the custody order. They can reduce someone’s parenting time because they don’t show up or because they don’t put the needs of the children first. They could also change how they divided the authority to make certain decisions.


You shouldn’t have to struggle to have time with your children or to help them connect with their other parent. Asking the Connecticut courts for enforcement help can help those struggling to share custody with a non-compliant ex.